Script

Only with your donations am I able to continue this blog. Please
consider donating.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

German President Refuses to Resign




While expressing his refusal to resign, German president Christian Wulff admitted Wednesday he made a “grave mistake” by trying to stop a newspaper from publishing a story that would embarrass him.

"The call to the chief editor of Bild was a grave mistake, for which I am sorry and for which I apologize,"

The voice-mail in question was sparked by Wulff letting a low-interest rate on his home loan. He told the editor-in-chief there would be “war” if the article was published.

Despite pressure to resign as president and the distraction it poses for Chancellor Angela Merkel, who nominated him for the position, he said “[I will not resign] because I had great support in the past weeks from many citizens, my friends and employees. I like fulfilling my duties [as president] and have taken the job for five years and want to show at the end of the five years that I was a good, successful president. This has been a learning process. I went from being a state premier to president very quickly, without time to adjust or prepare. It all went very fast."

Murkel has, for the moment at least, decided to continue backing Wulff.

No comments:

Post a Comment